Tonight was one of those nights when I really didn’t have the energy to cook, but I knew I needed to cook and eat something healthy. We had some coconut milk in, and as far as I’m concerned coconut milk and lentils go hand-in-hand, so I made a delicious curried soup filled with goodness from lentils, carrots, coconut and spices – without following a recipe. I made it up and it tasted delicous. If you’re looking for a winter warming soup with a twist, I would recommend making this.
If you want to try it yourself you’ll need:
- 1 white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 medium carrots
- 200g red lentils
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 and 1/2 tsp garam massala
- 1 red chilli
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 200ml vegetable stock
- Rice to serve
- Head some oil in a pan and add in your chopped onion, crushed garlic and carrots. Cooking through to soften for 3-5 minutes.
- Add your garam massala, grated ginger and chilli and stir before adding your lentils and coating them in the spices. Add in your coconut milk, stock and some seasoning if you wish and bring to the simmer for 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slowly cook through some rice if you wish to add this in. Not too much – just enough to stir through.
- When your lentils and carrots are cooked through, transfer to a blender and whizz until smooth. Pour back into the pan, drain your rice and stir through if you wish.
- Serve and enjoy!
Hayley Jayne xx