Last night we needed a big plate of vegetables. The working week plus and week off filled with late nights, booze and chocolate was taking its toll on us. Me and Dan have both been feeling shattered this week. I knew we had loads of courgettes in – I just needed to work out what to make with them.
I got the idea for making these after a quick search on Google, but freestyled the recipe based on some basic ingredients we had on our shelves and in the fridge. These fritters use just a few simple ingredients and can be adapted as per your taste or your kitchen cupboards – you could make them sweet, spicy or as cheesy as you like. I served ours up with a spicy sweet potato hash, soured cream, guacamole and salsa. It was totally delicious. If you’re looking for a healthy week night meal, I couldn’t recommend this enough.
To make four fritters (they served two as a main), you need:
1 large courgette
4 tablespoons of plain flour
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1 teaspoon of parsley
Salt and pepper
A good glug of vegetable oil
1. Grate your courgette and lay it out on some kitchen towel or baking paper and leave it to dry out for at least 30 minutes but ideally an hour. This will dry our your courgette and make for crispier fritters.
2. In a mixing bowl add in your courgette and whisk in your egg. Add parsley, cream cheese and finally your flour. Don’t be worried – it should be a lovely gloopey consistency.
3. Heat some oil in a large frying pan on a high heat. Make sure the base of your frying pan is covered in oil and that it’s fully hot.
4. Gently spoon you mixture into four burger shapes, making sure they don’t touch. Cook for a few minutes until them move under a spatula, turn and cook on the other side and squash down a little to make sure the heat can reach the thickest part in the centre.
5. Cook until evenly browned on both sides. Serve up and enjoy!
You could do so much with this. Why not try adding some spices, ginger and chilli of Parmesan cheese?
Hayley Jayne xx