Anyone who reads my blog regularly will know that there are three staple ingredients in my quick evening meals: onion, garlic and chopped tomatoes. On our walk home last night, before we even reached the new Simmonites butches, I had the urge to cook something with pastry. My enthusiasm for food has wavered somewhat in recent weeks, partly due to being so goddam busy. It was good to get creative, and last night’s dish was well overdue.
I used a Just Roll pastry sheet, some goats cheese and olives purchased during our visit to Simmonites last night, and whatever veg was in the fridge. What started out as a really simple dish ended up being really tasty. If you’re looking for a quick fix evening meal, I would well recommend this.
To make it you’ll need:
1 puff pastry sheet
1 can of chopped tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
2 tbsps tomato purée
A good helping of goats cheese chopped into chunks
A selection of chopped veg, we went for sliced courgette, pepper and olives.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a small pan heat some oil and add your chopped shallot and crushed garlic. Cook for a few minutes.
3. Add your chopped tomatoes and purée and cook for a few minutes to allow it to thicken. With a sieve and a jug, strain away some of the juice so you have a thicker tomato mixture and place to one side.
4. Roll out your pastry onto a baking tray. I curled up the sides and supported with foil, but this is optional. Add you tomato base, olives, veg and finally cheese.
5. Bake in the oven for 20 mins, or until browned. Cut and serve.
What’s your favourite puff pastry recipe?
Hayley Jayne xx