This was one of those ‘I kinda feel like baking a cake tonight’ cakes. I made in on a Tuesday, after a long day at work, in between having my dinner and colouring my hair – I wasn’t even that bothered about eating it, I just wanted to make something… anything.
It wasn’t planned – nor did I have a vision of my head of what I wanted it to be – it just happened. The sponge in this cake is so moist, with a slight hint of almond. Teamed up with the richness of the cream cheese icing and nuttiness of the m&ms, this cake a make-again cake – and it’s so easy.
Want to make it? You’ll need:
- 120ml milk
- 1 tbpn white wine vinegar
- 125g butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp almond extract
- 30g cocoa powder
- 300g plain flower
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp salt
- 30g butter
- 75g icing sugar
- 150g cream cheese
- Colouring (optional)
- In a jug combine your milk and white wine vinegar. Leave at room temperature and place to one side.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees. Combine your butter and sugar, add in your eggs then flour, bicarb, salt, cocoa powder and almond extract.
- Pour in to a well greased cake tin and bake for 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Turn out your cake and leave it until it is completely cool. Combine the ingredients for your topping, being careful not to mix them too much as it can become too runny – and leave it to set a little before spooning and smoothing onto your cake with a spatula.
- Finish with some m&ms and some sprinkles.
- Tuck in and enjoy… Once covered it should last 3 days.
Hayley Jayne xx