Yesterday Dan went riding and I was recovering/battle a hayfever headache after spending the day before running around grass and trees, beating Dan at tennis and football in Buxton Pavilion Gardens. After a little walk with my friend, I came home and got to work cooking up some healthy grub to go with our burger-based tea. I went for wholemeal bread rolls with cheese, a rocket cheese and balsamic vinegar salad, and some raw carrot to dip into homemade hummus.
I’d never made hummus before – but how difficult could it be? I had chickpeas in the cupboard and garlic on the shelf… plus a few spices to add into the mix. Within ten minutes I whipped up the perfect healthy accompaniment for our ‘indoor bbq tea’.
Want to make your own hummus? It’s easy – you’ll need:
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1tsp cumin powder
- 2 pinches of chilli powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 of a lemon – juiced
- A food processor
- Drain off your chickpeas, keeping the water – place this to one side and put your chickpeas in your processor.
- Add in your garlic cloves and spices and mix for a minute. You’ll see that it’s quite dry, so add in your lemon juice and some of your chickpea water. Add in a tablespoon at a times as you blend it until you have a consistency your happy with.
- Have a quick taste and balance up the spices, plus any seasoning to suit your taste.
- Sprinkle some extra paprika on top if you wish and enjoy!
Hayley Jayne xx