When I like people, I bake them cakes. This week is intern Chelsea’s last week at Propaganda, so I thought it right to bake her a treat of her choice. Seeing as she asked for eton mess, coffee cake or carrot cake – I had a pretty open brief – so I went for some cappuccino fairy cakes.
Mine went a tiny bit wrong – I put in too much coffee and had to double up the ingredients – stick to the instructions below and yours should turn out perfect.
To make them, you’ll need:
- 100g butter
- 100g brown sugar
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tspn of coffee dissolved in 50-100ml water
For the topping:
- 100g chocolate
- 50g butter
- 50g brown sugar
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat your oven to 140 degrees and lay out your paper bun cases on a bun tray.
- Cream together the butter and sugar before adding the eggs and flour, and combining well. Stir in 4tablespoons of coffee mixture and combine again.
- Spoon out into your bun cases, 3/4 of the way full and bake for 20 mins, or until they slightly brown on top.
- Once baked leave to cool fully.
- For the topping cut out circles with a sharp knife to scoop out the top of the sponge. Melt your chocolate in own bowl and cream together butter and sugar in another. In the hole you’ve made, spoon in some chocolate, them some butter cream mixture – cut your scooped circles of sponge in half and place like butterfly wings on your buttercream.
Hayley Jayne xx