Tomorrow is the first day in my new job (eeek). My new lunch box and flask are poised and ready to be filled with fuel for my first day in my new office, and this morning I handed over no less than £215 to the train-people… which means that I’m skint for for the foreseeable future (so expect some super-frugal foodie posts from me in the coming weeks).
Anyhoo, back to my cake. Last night I made a simple fruit cake on request of my new boss, for my first day. I hadn’t made fruit cake for ages – it’s super simple to make too, so I whipped it up in tandem with watching The Voice – standard Saturday night.
It’s rich, spicy and perfect with a cup of tea. There’s so many fruit cake recipes to choose from – however this one is incredibly simple if you’re cooking up something quick! You could easily make this into a loaf and enjoy with butter. To make it you’ll need:
- 225g self raising flour
- 110g butter
- 110g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons milk
- A good helping of raisins
- Grated rind of an orange
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 and grease and line a cake tin.
- Using your hands, in a large bowl combine flour and butter in a large mixing bowl. Add in your sugar, currants, orange spice and mixed spice and mix until combined.
- Add in your eggs and milk and combine until your cake mix is an even consistency then poor into your cake tin.
- Bake for 1 hour (it may need a little longer).
- Enjoy hot or with cooled with a cuppa the next day!
Hayley Jayne xx