After a weekend of naughty food, drinks and snacks, it’s about time I cooked up something veg filled and healthy, making the most of the can of chickpeas I’ve had stored in the back of the cupbard for months.
I initially thought about making a pie, but I didn’t fancy making or eating a pie crust. Instead I opted for a cottage pie style dish, topping off a healthy vegetable filling with a good old helping of mashed potato and cheese.
This is a really easy dish and it’s perfect for making the most of what you have in the fringe and cupboards. I could have included any vegetables in my base, and any root vegetales on top (such as sweet potato or butternut) and also, it goes well with any cheese – I’ve gone for goats cheese, but nearly toped it with grated applewood – there’s literally too many variations of this dish to list!
To make this exact dish, you’ll need:
- 3-4 medium potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 1 can of chickpeas
- A good helping of lentils (I never measure them)
- 1/2 courgette, finely chopped
- 1 shallot
- 1 clove of garlic, mashed
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 100 ml soured cream
- 1 chunk of goats cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1tsp of paprika
- 1/2 tspn chilli powder
- Large pinch of oregano
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Chop up your potatoes and carrot and cook on the hob for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pan, heat some oil and fry off your chopped shallot and garlic, add in your courgette and sprinkle on some of your paprika. Combine then add your chickpeas, lentils and chopped tomatoes. Add some seasoning, the rest of your paprika, chilli powder and oregano and leave to simmer.
- When your potatoes are cooked, drain and add back into your pan. Pop in your soured cream and cheese and mash until smooth.
- In a casserole dish layout your chickpea and lentil mix and top off with your mash. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes, then serve and enjoy!
Hayley Jayne xx