Tonight we’re hosting a dinner party (which is no surprise), however tonight it’s a dinner party with a twist! Unlike most weekends when we have couple mates round for food, tonight we’ve got two lads coming over – I couldn’t subject them to a night of girly wine and fluffy desserts… so instead I’ve opted for a man-sized lad night – I’m hosting a beer and burger night.
I picked up some lovely lamb burgers from Castle Market last weekend, and we have some chunky chips and onions rings to boot. On top of the lamb burgers I’ll grill some giant mushrooms and melt on some stilton cheese… all of which will be housed in bread rolls made by my own fair hands last night.
Bread isn’t my strongest point. With our apartment playing host to an artic micro-climate, regardless of the weather outside, my dough usually doesn’t have enough heat to prove and ends up being too stodgy. Luckily, I found a recipe to counter this (whilst letting me use my new US measuring cups again).
We tasted one last night and they are spot on. Maybe a little on the small side for a giant burger… but hey, I made it from scratch so I think I’ll get away with it. To make it you’ll need (in US measures – sorry):
- 7g sachet of yeast
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of warm water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup sugar (I used caster)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 – 3 ½ cups of plain flour
- Preheat your oven and great and line a baking tray.
- In a bowl add your water to your yeast and dissolve. Leave to rest for 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the rest of your ingredients except the flour and ensure it is well combined before adding 3 cups of flour and gently adding more until your mix isn’t too sticky.
- When your dough is ready, knead for 5-7 minutes then quickly divide into 10-12 balls and place apart on your baking tray. Cover and leave to prove for 10-15 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 10-20 minutes – until they are lightly browned on top.
- Eat warm if you can and enjoy.
PS. If you don’t own any US measuring cups – I would defiantly recommend them.
Off to do ‘lad stuff now’! Happy Friday…
Hayley Jayne xx