Today I cooked gammon for the first time. I used to eat it when I was younger, and remember it being salty, chewy and heavy on the stomach. I’m not the greatest lover of pork cuts either, thick bacon turns my stomach, so I was a little apprehensive about buying and cooking a huge chunk of ham. However, we hosted birthday dinner for the father-in-law, and he likes it – so I stepped out of my comfort zone and gave gammon a go.
I sought comfort in a Nigella recipe today. She advises cooking it in coca cola… I know, it sounds crazy right, but it works. I served it up with carrots, onion, sweet potato, boiled potato, a fried egg and pineapple It was delicious. If you’ve never cooked ham before, this is well worth a try.
To make it you’ll need:
- A joint of boneless gammon (we picked one up from Castle Market for £4)
- 2 litre of full fat, full sugar coca cola
- One onion, sliced into quarters
- 3-4 carrots cut into big chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tspns honey
- First off, of your gammon is salty, place it in a deep pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil – as soon as it’s boiling, drain off and place back in the pan.
- Pour in your cola, until it’s covered, and add in your onions, carrots and bay leaves. Place on a medium heat to cook for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- When it’s done, place your oven on to heat at 180 degrees. Score your gammon on top and spoon on your honey and brush over the top. Place it in a roasting tin with your vegetables and spoon in your cola, up to 3-5 millimeters.
- Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with veg and enjoy!
Hayley Jayne xx