Today I am well and truly in the mood for salad. The sun is out. Spring has finally sprung. The Winter-chill, which definitely out-stayed it’s welcome, is gone – for the time being anyway. My body is no longer craving carbs, bread and chips… instead it wants nutrients – so I’m cooking up a salad for one, whilst Dan makes the most of the lighter,warmer nights on his bike.
I know, I know. I should have bought lettuce and made up my leaf salad myself… but to be honest, when you’re in a rush and eating for one – it’s cheaper to buy it ready made, so I picked up a bag rom Tesco. No need to tell me about the added chlorine they wash it with that I’ll be chowing down on… I have’t been near a swimming baths for over six months now, therefore I’m not at risk of over-exposing myself to chlorine – so I think I should be ok with some pre-bagged salad, just for tonight!
When I went to buy my ready made salad, Tesco were putting out their reduced items for the day. I swooped in and managed to get a round of Le Roule cheese, a galric and herb soft cheese – which will taste lovely with my roasted vetagables, I hope – for 19p – WINNING!
This dish is packed with so much nutrients to get me feeling healthy and to give me that Spring/Summer glow my body seems to be crying out for.
To make it (for one) you’ll need:
- 1 bag of salad (pref incl rocket)
- 1 cup of bulgar wheat
- 1 clove of garlic
- Pinch of parsley
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of paprika
- Pinch of pepper
- Pinch coriander
- 1/2 pepper
- Handful of mushrooms
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- 6 slices of courgette
- A soft cheese of your choice
- A salad dressing of your choice
- In a bowl add in your bulgar wheat, garlic and herbs/spices. Top up until covered, plus around an extra 1cm of water. Stir and leave for 30 minutes. (Your bulgar wheat will be ready once it has soaked up all of the water and is soft to taste.)
- Heat your grill and on a baking tray lined with foil, lay out your chopped vegetables Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for approx. 13-15 minutes.
- Lay out your salad on a plate, add a few spoons on bulgar wheat, pile on your roasted vegetables and add on your cheese. You may also wish to add on a salad dressing, such as french dressing.
- Enjoy – it’s as easy as that.
What’s your favourite salad combo?
Hayley Jayne xx