Yey! I’m only working one day this week, just one day and one meeting down South! Other than that I have a full week off until the 2nd April to bake, cook and blog to my hearts content (with a little trip to the Lakes thrown in for good measure)!
Today I decided to bake something pretty. I never really bake pretty things – my sweet creations tend to look a little more rough around the edges. Armed with my new cookie cutters, and a few lemons, I decided to bake up some lemon shortbread, coated in white chocolate with some individual decorations.
These biscuits are so easy to make and use a few simple ingredients. You can cut and decorate them however you like – however I’d stick to white chocolate over milk or dark if your going to flavour your shortbread with lemon – the tastes go much better together.
Want to make them? You’ll need:
- 250g plain flour
- 150g butter
- 75g caster sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1-2 tsps water
- 100g white chocolate
- Cutters and decorations of your choice
- Sift your flour into a mixing bowl. Add your butter, ideally at room temperature, and combine with your hands until you have bread crumbs.
- Add in your sugar and lemon zest and begin to knead the crumbs until it turns into a dough. If it’s quite dry, add it some drops of water a little at a time. Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 20-30 mins.
- Pre-heat your oven to 170 degrees (no fan). Roll out, cut and place on a lined baking tray with at least 1cm between each of them. Cook for 30 mins, or until they begin to brown slightly.
- Take them of the baking tray and leave to cool on a wire rack. Whilst they cool, fill a bowl or pan with boiling water, break up your white chocolate and place in a small container, such as a ramekin. Hold over the hot water (I place them on mini weights to stop the chocolate from touching the water) and stir the chocolate until it melts. On plates, layout some baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Dip half of your biscuit into the chocolate and place onto your plates to decorate. When they are all done, place in the fridge or leave in a cold room to set for 20-30 mins.
- Enjoy with a glass of milk!
What’s your favourite way to flavour shortbread?
Hayley Jayne xx