Tonight I wanted something quick and healthy for tea. I wanted something properly filling, but I felt bloated so bread, pasta and rice were a no go. I threw loads of healthy ingredients into a pan and came up with this – it’s so quick and easy to make it’s crazy and all the ingredients (aside from the chorizo and feta) are super healthy.
What is bulgar wheat? Someone on Facebook asked me this question – it’s not the average ingredient you’re likely to throw in your weekly shopping basket, even though it’s available in most large supermarkets. It’s kind of like cous cous. Bulgar wheat is a cereal/whole wheat that has been prepared ready for cooking. It’s filling and has a nutty-flavour – you’ll often find it in lots of Eastern European and Asian dishes. I’ve previously used it in stuffed peppers and in place of risotto when I want something lighter. This stuff is really good for you – it’s full of fibre, iron, potassium and minerals.
How to make this dish. You’ll need:
- 150-175g of bulgar wheat
- Small butternut squash
- 1/2 cup of lentils
- Chorizo (chopped – about a handful will do)
- 1 shallot onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 medium chestnut mushrooms
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tspn paprika
- Pinch of parsley
- Cubed feta to serve
- Place your bulgar wheat in a small pan, cover with hot water and put on the hob on a very low heat to maintain the temperature. Cover and leave to soak up the water for 30 mins. If it looks dry, add in more boiling water until you near 30 mins – you can always drain any extra water off.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees, cut your butternut into chunks (they can be a pain to cut so maybe do this in advance), place on a foil covered baking tray, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper and bake in the oven for 20 mins or until they are soft.
- In a medium-large pan add some oil and allow it to heat. Add in your chopped shallots, crushed garlic and finely chopped mushrooms. Cook through for 2-3 minutes then add your chrizo, cook for a further 2 minutes then add in your chopped tomatoes, lentils, paprika and parsley. Cook for 10 minutes.
- When you butternut is done, add it into your tomato mix. Add in your bulgar wheat when it has done and stir through, cooking for an extra 5 minutes.
- Plate up and top with chunks of feta.
What’s your favourite bulgar wheat recipe?
Hayley Jayne xx