Tonight we had Dan’s little brother Will round for tea. He’s staying over tonight, so I’m leaving the boys to it so they can do ‘boy stuff’ like watch sport and drink beer and other such ‘manly’ stuff. Instead of joining them, I’ve spent the day decorating and updating my blog. ALL of my afternoon was spend playing around on illustrator, before moving on over to WordPress to give everything a refresh. It looks much better, don’t you think?
Back to my recipe. I wanted to make something tasty, but also quick and easy as I was shattered from staring at a screen all day. After a flick through my recipe books, I was inspired to make something with chicken, so I made a chunky chicken casserole and made it up as I went along. Some of my favourite recipes have been concocted in the spur of the moment like this.
The chicken was tender and delicious and the carrots still had a nice crunch to them – there’s nothing worse that a carrot that’s been cooked beyond recognition. We served it with some fluffy mash.
To make it you’ll need:
- Chicken fillets (enough for 3-4 people)
- 2 x white onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Chicken stock
- 400ml of boiled water
- Lee and perrins sauce
- 5 carrots
- A bay leaf
- 1/2 tspn rosemary
- Salt and pepper
Here’s how to make it:
- Add a big glug of olive oil to a pan and heat. Chop up your onions crush your garlic and add to the oil to fry off for 2 minutes. In the meantime, cut your chicken into small cubes, add into the pan and keep turning until the chicken is sealed all the way round – this should take up to 10 minutes.
- Cut up your carrots and add to a casserole dish. Add in the contents of your pan and mix to make sure the chicken and carrots of evenly distributed.
- Mix up your chicken stock with your boiling water, add a teaspoon of cornstarch (or plain flour) and mix until dissolved. Add in a dash of Lee and Perrins before pouring over your chicken and carrots.
- Add in a bay leaf, rosemary and some salt and pepper.
- Cook in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Hayley Jayne xx