Last week I was speaking to a colleague at work, who told me about eggs in purgatory! Even the name is amazing, right? As we chatted, I googled the recipe and emailed it to myself. Luke told me that him and his partner make it regularly – he said it was a perfect weekend breakfast. It’s a meal for those who love to share and eat from a piping hot pan! Yes please! From then on, it was high up on my list of meals to make.
On Sunday, me and Dan woke up to a fr-r-r-r-reezing cold apartment. Outside it couldn’t decide whether it wanted to rain, sleet or snow. It was one of those write-off Sundays where you couldn’t really do anything, without spending anything, because it was so darn cold, wet and miserable.
When we managed to pull ourselves away from the warmth of our multiple layers of duvets, I hit the kitchen to cook up a feast I know would make us feel better. I’d been looking forward to making this recipe all week – it was time for Nigella’s eggs in purgatory!
This dish is so easy to make and uses a few key ingredients; canned chopped tomatoes, eggs, garlic, and chilli. I didn’t have all the ingredients in – chilli flakes and parmesan, so I freestyled it and used chilli powder and held off on cheese for a healthier option. If you want to see how to make the Nigella recipe first hand, look here as the way I cooked it was slightly different. If you want to know how to make the dish above – read on!
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tspn of chilli powder
- Drizzle of oil
- Chopped tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of sage
- Pinch of rosemary
- Good helping of cracked pepper
- Toasted bread to dip with
- Drizzle oil into a frying pan and when it’s hot, fry your garlic and chilli for a minute or two, then add your chopped tomatoes.
- Bring your tomato to the bubble and add your seasonings, making sure you tastes it before you add your eggs to make sure you’re happy with it.
- Drop one or two eggs into centre of the pan, the bubbling tomato sauce should poach them.
- Serve in the pan with warm bread.
What’s your favourite Sunday breakfast?
Hayley Jayne xx