Yey! It’s pancake day tomorrow – a perfect excuse to riffle through your cupboards to find all the suggary treats you can get your hands on to spread onto your pancake, roll up and tuck into – guilt free. That is if you’re a sweet pancake eater of course. I’ve heard mutterings of cheese, ham and mushroom pancakes online and offline. I’m not a fan of savory pancakes myself – but that’s not to say you shouldn’t give them ago.
Last night me and Dan had our pancake day early so I could come up with some filling ideas for you to try. We didn’t go out and buy anything for them, we simply used what we had in (which wasn’t much), which was great as we came up with some fillings we’d never tried before.
Now, here’s the important bit. If you’re making pancakes from home, I should really tell you how to make the batter, it’s easy. You’ll need to mix the following into a bowl in the following order:
- 4 oz flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 pint milk
- Pinch of salt
Tip: Your pancakes will cook better as you go along. Your first one may be a bit sticky and/or sloppy – don’t let this put you off. The first pancake is never the best!
Now time for fillings. Some of these are fillings I used to have as a child, some of them I’ve discovered over the years and others were suggested by my fellow tweeters:
- A classic pancake with strawberry jam, lemon juice and sugar
- Chocolatey Nutella, desiccated coconut and lemon juice
- Peanut butter, banana and chocolate chip
- Golden syrup and dates
- Summer berries and ice cream
- Simple sugar and cinnamon
- Orange juice and sugar or Nutella – @MattNeedhamPR
- Corned beef hash or cheese ‘n ham – @missstephwalker
- Goats cheese and red onion – @JordanSadler
- Cheese and spinach – @SallyRushton
How will you be eating your pancakes?
Hayley Jayne xx